Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer fun for Kids

Just thought I'd share some ideas to have fun with your children during the "Dog days" of August. The Humidity is so thick here in NY today when I woke up I could see my windows were wet on the outside.

Bubblepalooza making your own Bubbles
Making it yourself is great if your child has dye sensitivities or allergies

This is a trial and error recipe. Your water, humidity, etc can effect how the bubbles turn out where you live. Start with this:

1/2c Joy or Dawn Dish Liquid
1 c water
1T light Karo Syrup (thickener-optional/can try sugar too)
1 drop food coloring - optional

Put the water in your container first. Add corn syrup and stir. Add Dish liquid and stir gently. Always put the water in first and stir gently or you will end up with way too many bubbles.

If it doesn't seem to work well with your local water, try using distilled water.
If the bubbles burst too easily- too much water
If they fall too easy (heavy) - too little water

Use a wand you have, or create one with a pipe cleaner. HAVE FUN!!

The BEST Play Dough

This from Craft Gossip blog, I was going to Post the link, But there website and my blog wouldn't play nice. I chose it because its the only one I've seen that doesn't have an odd ingredient you probably don't have in your kitchen, and no real cooking, just heating water. Imagine burning a glob of flour and water and getting that out of your saucepan...Not

Ingredients:
1/4 cup salt
1 1/4 cup flour (amount of flour may vary slightly depending on altitude)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
food coloring

Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside

Boil water in microwave. Remove from microwave once it has started to boil (I realize you guys aren’t idiots, I just wanted to be clear). Add baking soda, vegetable oil and food coloring to water. I am generous with the food coloring. I like the colors to be dark. Let the water cool down enough that you can touch it. If you don’t let it cool, your play dough will end up grainy-believe me.

Add the water mixture to the flour and salt combination. Stir/knead adding more flour as needed until it isn’t sticking to your hands anymore. Let the dough cool completely. Play time!

Store in Tupperware or be eco friendly and store in old cottage cheese/sour cream containers. Lasts longer in refrigerator.

Note: I'm not sure how much this recipe makes, but if you wanted to make more than one color, other recipes have suggested waiting until the end and kneading it in. Pat the play dough flat , put drops of food coloring in the middle, fold it over so coloring doesn't ooze allover and begin kneading.

1 comment: